Monday, October 17, 2011

Chunkin' Pumpkin Painting

create fall art with big movements

Pumpkins + paint + big movement = FUN fall art! This activity was inspired by this post from Hands On As We Grow. It was so simple to put together and provided a lot of entertainment. For us all! 

Materials Needed:


  • Long piece of paper
  • Washable paint
  • Paper plates (or another suitable container to hold the paint)
  • Small pie pumpkin
  • Other bits of nature
  • Clean up supplies (hose, buckets of water, or mop depending on where you do this activity)


The Setup:


I set this activity up by taping a long piece of butcher paper onto a concrete driveway. {On a side note, I absolutely adore my huge roll of butcher paper. I bought a roll with something like 900 feet of paper for less than twenty dollars at my local butcher. It was way cheaper than buying a roll of paper at a school/craft supply store.} I also poured red, yellow, orange, and brown paint into four different paper plates. While I was setting up, R and his daddy went and collected other bits of nature to try and paint with. He ended up painting with pumpkins, pine cones, acorns, and a small cluster of pine needles.

The Play:


paint with pumpkins, fall art, autumn activity

He started off by dipping and rolling the pumpkin in a paint filled plate. When he thought he had enough paint on the pumpkin he would roll the pumpkin down the length of the paper. At least, it started off that way. It wasn't long at all before he was hurling it down the paper. He looked like he was bowling! And then it progressed to him getting a good running start, jumping, and chunking the pumpkin down the paper. He had a lot of fun with it. And, to my surprise, the pumpkin didn't explode.

paint with pumpkins in a big way, fall activity, autumn art

fall art, fall activity, painting with pumpkins

Have fun in the fall

Then, he tried the acorns. They made a neat splatter, but wasn't nearly as fun as the pumpkin. Next came the pine cones. He would throw them, scoot them, and roll them slowly. They made wonderful patterns. Finally, to finish his masterpiece, he painted with the cluster of pine needles. He dipped them in paint and then slapped the paper in various places.

painting with nature, fall art

paint with nature in the fall

He had a blast with this fall painting and he was proud of his "masterpiece." I plan on framing a portion and using the rest for cards and wrapping paper. I loved this activity because he had a ton of fun and it was super easy to set up and clean up. When he was finished we just hosed down the driveway. And since we used the Crayola washable paint, it easily washed out of his clothing. This is a new favorite!

Fall art, autumn art


{Did you enjoy this post? Don't miss out on fun in the future! You can subscribe or follow me on Facebook for future updates. Thanks for reading!}

19 comments:

  1. I love this! How fun!
    Sonya from The Three Bears Get Crafty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely looks fun! I'd love it if you would link up to the AfterSchool party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you like it, Sonya. I bet you could do this with one of the tiny pumpkins. Oh, I wonder what your little one would think of that!

    Thank you so much for inviting me, Little Wonders' Days. I've linked it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Yeah, My boys would love this! I remember spending a fall afternoon, rolling pumpkins down a hill after halloween last year. Wonder if I can combine the two ideas? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up to AfterSchool. This is a great activity!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is way too fun! I have some extra pumpkins outside that we probably won't carve...I think I just found what we're going to do with them. :) Thanks for linking this up to Monstrously Creative Saturday!
    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh i love this so very very much! I absolutely love BIG ART that gets you moving. I included this in a round up of Pumpkin Activities today - thanks for linking back to me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are def. fun! Follwoing you back- thanks for stopping by Classified: mOm and linking up to the Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jena, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

    I'm so glad you like it, Mandi! I can't wait to see how your guys like it.

    Thank you so much, Jamie, for including my post in your roundup! I'm honored! And thanks for the inspiration!

    And thank you Aimee for the follow and for hosting the Sunday Showcase. I look forward to it each week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW MUCH FUN WOULD THIS BE?!?! SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! You make it very tempting for me to buy a pumpkin this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks you guys! It really is great fun. I had a blast watching! Thanks so much for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so much fun! Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase! I hope to see you again this week! I showcased these on facebook & Twitter!

    Bern
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Bern! Thanks so much for sharing my post. And I'm sure I'll see you again this week! I'm so behind on what I want to blog about. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our sons would have a lot of fun together. I LOVE this!! Anything that can be thrown with paint would be a hit at our house. Thanks for sharing this over at our Best of October link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you like it, Toddler Approved. If we can't get our kids together to play, at least we have blogs to share activity ideas! Thank you for stopping by and commenting. And thanks for hosting a wonderful linky.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my this is awesome!!! What a fun way to paint! This will be great once it warms back up outside! It would be fun with apples and other stuff too! Thanks for sharing! (did I use enough exclamation points for you?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We done this last year with pumpkins and apples. Toddlers love it too. Thanks for posting the great photos

    ReplyDelete
  19. We done this last year with pumpkins and apples. So fun and toddlers can do it too. THanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I'd love and appreciate your feedback. And if you enjoyed this post, please consider subscribing.